A large Millefiore murrine glass vase, manufactured by Vetreria Fratelli Toso, Murano around 1910. Manufactured with polychrome murrines in pink, red and white and an acid etched matte finish. The vase is an authentic examples of early 20th century Murano art glass. It was part of a large Fratelli Toso glass collection with over 600 pieces - collected since the 1970s.
Fratello Toso was one of the leading art glass manufacturers of Murano in the 20th century. In the early 1900's Fratelli Toso started to produce glasses in murrine technique. Murrine and Millefiori glasses remained a major product field of Fratelli Toso. In 1912 a very successful series of liberty inspired art glasses, designed by Hans Stoltenberg Lerche, was presented at the Venice Biennale. From 1936 Ermanno Toso became artistic director. He brought the Millefiore glasses to a new level. A big succes where also the 'Stellato' and 'Cattedrale' murines vases designed between 1948 and 1964 by the artist Pollio Perelda. In the 1960's and 1970's Renato Giusto and Rosanna Toso designed modern cristallo glass series for Fratelli Toso. The company closed in 1982.
Height: 6.3" (16 cm)
Diameter: 3.15" (8 cm)