A small naturalistically carved female cattle - masterly carved in in lindenwood, Swiss, Brienz ca. 1900. Very good original condition, one horn restored.
The tradition of wood carving in Brienz dates back to mid of the 19th century. People in the region were looking for new employment opportunities. They used their skills from traditional crafts, carving everyday objects and sculptures, and created a new business. Many woodcarvers where trained in the "School of Wood Carving, Brienz" which was established in 1884. Around 1900 the woodcarving industry counted ca. 2000 woodcarvers. Brienz woodcarvings were presented on several worlds fairs with great success. With the Gran Tour Tourism wealthy people from all over the word visited the area and took their woodcarving souvenirs home. Today some companies, like "Huggler Holzbildhauerei" still exist and build traditional sculptures.
Width: 2.36" (6 cm)
Height: 4.33" (11 cm)
Depth: 5.51" (14 cm)